‘I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when he is silent.’
Words written on the wall of a cellar in Germany at the end of the Second World War.
- Healing – Jesus is healing the sick; his power is evident; Jesus is popular.
- Happy – Jesus says you are blessed when things aren’t going well
- Hungry, Hated, poor, weeping – You can be blessed in these situations; you don’t have to be well-fed, popular, rich and laughing
- Hope – In Jesus’ upside-down kingdom there is always hope; Jesus speaks of heavenly reward
…This morning’s reading – Jesus’ ‘Sermon on the Plain’ – particularly Luke 6:17-26
God is present with…
- The couple putting flowers on a child’s grave yesterday afternoon.
- Our friend caring for her very sick husband at home.
- My brother, Chris; started another round of chemotherapy on Friday.
- A couple of friends, previously very active, confined to wheel chairs.
- Another friend who has been told that his care is ‘palliative’…
Silence may be the place where we find God; it may also be the place where God seems to be absent. And yet, sometimes, it is in that silence that an apparently silent God brings a new strength to faith and hope.
Chris’ words yesterday:
Prayer walk this morning in the woods behind the town hall. Not very long. Legs are weak. I meditate a sentence from my bible reading ′′ He draws me a perfect path “. The presence of the sovereign God who loves me so much at the heart of adversity. I think, with gratitude, of all the good comments about my health – God’s big family. God is good and life is beautiful.