I am not a stranger to the dark
Hide away, they say
‘Cause we don’t want your broken parts
I’ve learned to be ashamed of
all my scars
Run away, they say
No one will love you as you are
In ‘The Greatest Showman’ Barnum holds a party for the great and good. He excludes his circus ‘freaks’ – he’s embarrassed by them. Lettie Lutz, the bearded lady, refuses to be ashamed of who she is…
We live in a world of high expectations; many hide because they’re made to feel ashamed of their differences, their imperfections.
But I won’t let them break me down to dust
I know that there’s a place for us
For we are glorious
I’m honest about myself, accepting myself for whom I am. I’ve made mistakes and messed up; some things I need to put right. But I’m proud, I stand tall – ‘This is Me’!
This includes my family, colour, physical health, mental health, education, addictions, faith, religion, sexuality, weight…
When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I’m gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I’m meant to be, this is me
- I can’t put my life on hold until I’m the person I wish I was.
- Despite bruising I must continue to be brave: ‘This is me’.
- I should always seek to be a better ‘me’.
- I must be better at accepting others as they are – not expecting them to be like me.
- My faith tells of a Jesus who accepts the unacceptable, loves the unlovely and welcomes the different and excluded.
- I’m proud of what I believe, the God I trust in and the way of life that this leads me to.
Look out ’cause here I come
And I’m marching on to the beat I drum
I’m not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me!